School Based Substance Abuse & Mental Health Counselor
|Title:||School Based Substance Abuse & Mental Health Counselor|
|Department:||Adolescent Outpatient Services|
|Location:||356 Englenook Drive, DeBary, FL 32713|
with additional compensation being offered for certification/license
Working Hours: 40 hrs week; Mon-Fri; 8am-5pm
A currently competent Substance Abuse Professional will provide professional clinical services to all assigned youth and their families referred from Volusia County Schools who are experiencing problems or are at risk for substance misuse and/or mental health issues. Services will be provided in agency office, Volusia County Schools, and other community locations.
Graduation from an accredited school with Master’s Degree in Counseling, Psychology, Social Work, or some other relevant Human Services discipline and two (2) years’ experience working with clients experiencing substance abuse and/or mental health problems. Must be knowledgeable and demonstrate competence in current principals and practices including all aspects of providing treatment services to adolescents experiencing substance abuse and mental health problems.
- Knowledgeable of individual, group and phone counseling with clients with a substance abuse, mental health or co-occurring disorders.
- Develop and implement agreed upon plans and interventions.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills (both verbally and in writing) when dealing with clients, third party payers, other professionals within and outside of SMA, etc.
- Demonstrates effective crisis intervention and conflict resolution techniques.
- Coordinates resources.
- Demonstrates effective documentation of activities including outcomes and plans using DAP format.
- Identifies the commonly used resources for referral of clients.
- Understands referral process for each. Demonstrates effective discharge planning.
- Understand the role of the interdisciplinary treatment team.
- Maintains close, effective communication with other team members, including VCS staff.
- Contributes effectively and meaningfully to staff meeting / treatment team meeting process.
- Participates in providing substance use and mental health treatment services to identified youth and their families.
- Conducts comprehensive assessment of youth’s current symptoms and history (e.g., onset, course and effect of illness, past treatment and responses, and risk behaviors), mental status, and diagnosis; physical health; use of drugs or alcohol; education; trauma history, social development and functioning; activities of daily living (e.g., self-care, living situation, nutrition, money management); and family structure and relationships.
- Consults with VCS staff, community agencies, and families to maintain coordination in the treatment process.
- Documents client progress to maintain a permanent record of client activity according to established methods and procedures.
- Will serve as a core member of the Volusia School’s Mental Health Team and will respond as required in the “Volusia Schools Mental Health Response Plan”
- Will provide education to clients, families, teachers, administrators, and community about the impact of substance misuse through both formal and informal trainings.
- Makes commitment to SMA’s mission and core values the SMA Way
- Abides by principles of EEO compliance and a workplace of dignity and respect.
- Works cooperatively in a group/team setting.
- Shows respect to others.
- Takes guidance and direction from supervisors.
- Arrives/Reports to work on time and ready to work.
EEO Employer W / M / Vet / Disabled