Peer Support Specialist; Part Time
|Title:||Peer Support Specialist; Part Time|
|Department:||Adult Outpatient Services|
|Location:||920 SR 16, St. Augustine, FL 32084|
Working Hours: 25 week; 8a-6p, hours vary and may include occasional evening and/or weekend work
This is a responsible direct service position serving as a member of a multidisciplinary team. The incumbent has responsibility to carry out rehabilitation and support functions and assist in treatment; provide substance abuse services, education, support, and consultation; and provide crisis intervention under the clinical supervision of staff with professional degrees. Work is performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, and state and federal regulations. Work is reviewed through periodic meetings, reports written, client records, performance indicator results, direct observation, and conformance with agency/program policies, procedures and practices, state and federal regulations.
High school diploma and must be a consumer of mental health services either currently or in the past. Certification is preferred, and may be required within six months of hire.
- Must have a strong commitment to the right and ability of each person with a severe and persistent mental illness to live in normal community residences; work in market jobs; and have access to helpful adequate, competent, and continuous supports and services.
- Skills and competence to establish supportive trusting relationships with persons with severe and persistent mental illnesses and respect for client rights and personal preferences in treatment are essential
- Knowledge of mental health.
- Knowledge of the characteristics and problems of adults with severe and persistent mental illnesses.
- Knowledge of psychotropic medications and their side affects.
- Ability to quickly assess situations and use sound judgment in defusing potentially risk situations.
- Ability to identify services needed by clients during the rehabilitation process.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, medical and clinical professionals, and the general public.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise written client documentation/reports.
- Ability to handle verbally and /or physically abusive and aggressive persons and utilize aggression control techniques to ensure the safety and well being of the person, other persons, and employees on the team.
- Ability to incorporate cultural and age appropriate care into all aspects of communication and service delivery.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with other employees, program staff, persons receiving services, outside organizations, and others.
- Able to establish and maintain healthy boundaries
- As a member of a multidisciplinary team, provides case management and coaching to all clients in line with the Clubhouse Model.
- Tasks include locating and coordinating services, implementing interventions, educating clients and the members of their networks, providing direct services in order to maximize community independence, building relationships, modeling behaviors, consulting as needed, advocating for rights and preferences, transporting clients, going into clients’ homes, building employability and vocational abilities, documenting as required, modeling and teaching ADL skills, promoting wellness behaviors, developing social skills, counseling and advising, building budgeting skills, and supporting clients so that their quality of life is maximized.
- Organizes and coordinates members with special events, projects, and social activities and outings
- Assists with member and staff “chores” to ensure the upkeep of the facility
- Collaborates with and assists other SMA staff in a supportive case management role including sharing case management duties, actively participating in staff meetings, leading groups, participating in trainings, and sharing resources and information.
- Commits to SMA’s mission “to deliver exceptional and comprehensive behavioral healthcare” and core values of service, integrity and excellence
- Abides by principles of EEO compliance and a workplace of dignity and respect.
- Works cooperatively in a group/team setting.
- Shows respect to others.
- Takes guidance and direction from supervisors.
- Arrives/Reports to work on time and ready to work.
EEO Employer W / M / Vet / Disabled
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications