Youth Specialist; PartTime
|Title:||Youth Specialist; PartTime|
|Location:||3875 Tiger Bay Road, Daytona Beach, FL 32124|
Working Hours: 32 hrs/week; Shifts may vary.
*** This position is eligible for a shift differential up to 10% ***
This is responsible direct service work dealing with runaway, ungovernable, and truant youth with psychologically, emotionally, and dually diagnosed youth with mental illnesses.
Work involves responsibility for processing intakes and discharges; monitoring and documenting client behaviors and activities; participating and assisting with educational, social and recreational activities; providing a safe and therapeutic environment; interacting in a warm compassionate manner; de-escalating, clients when necessary; promoting client achievement of treatment plan goals and objectives. Work is performed in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Possession of a high school diploma or GED. Must demonstrate an aptitude and ability to work with the adolescent population.
- Some knowledge of the human services field and the application of basic client care skills.
- Some knowledge of communicable diseases.
- Ability to defuse potentially dangerous situations, and remain calm in an emergency.
- Ability to utilize behavior management techniques and serve as a role model.
- Ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing with the public, clinical professionals, and outside agencies. Ability to prepare and maintain written documentation.
- Some knowledge of the juvenile justice system and CINS/FINS programs preferred.
- Ability to perform light housekeeping responsibilities. Ability to operate standard office equipment and standard household appliances.
- Ability to handle verbally and/or physically abusive and aggressive clients and utilize aggression control techniques to ensure the safety and well being of the client, other clients, and employees in the unit.
- Ability to communicate effectively with suicidal, mentally, emotionally, and/or psychologically disturbed clients in person and over the telephone.
- Responsible for monitoring the behavior and activities of each client; reports any concerns regarding the health, safety, or well-being of a client to the appropriate authority.
- Serves as a positive role model; utilizes approved behavior modification techniques to help clients learn desirable behaviors; provides positive reinforcement and support to clients.
- Conducts and participates in basic life skills activities.
- Provides clients with training or assistance with basic daily living skills such as: bathing, shaving, grooming etc; uses token/point system to reward positive behavior.
- Assists in the planning and implementation of individual treatment plans; supports client goals; encourages and assists clients in achieving their goals.
- Processes admissions and discharges for voluntary and/or involuntary clients; orients the client to the facility; explains rules, policies and procedures.
- Completes required program documentation.
- Completes reports as required; ongoing, daily, weekly, monthly etc.
- Documents service activity notes using SOAP Format daily on clients’ activities, behavior patterns, changes in behavior patterns, medications.
- Reviews and documents in shift report logs, shift logs, companion files etc.
- Obtains required program information; inventories client valuables.
- Assists nurse with administering medications; counts control substance medications; supervises self-administered medications.
- Conducts security/safety checks; monitors visitors/clients for contraband such as knives, razors, belts; conducts searches; removes dangerous items; utilizes infection control procedures when necessary. May shop for supplies/clothing for clients; assists with the preparation and dispensing of snacks and meals.
- Follows all procedures in compliance with the National School Lunch Program.
- Participates in meetings as required; converses with staff on client’s progress or lack of progress. Performs general office duties; answers telephones; communicates with the public, police, DCF, DJJ, hospitals etc; links clients to needed services; makes doctor appointments; files, types, copies; receives food shipments; order supplies etc.
- Performs general cleaning responsibilities such as laundry, mopping, garbage removal etc.
- Attends training /in-services as required; which includes a minimum of 80 hours during the 1st year of employment and 24hours of training every year thereafter.
- Controls verbally and/or physically abusive and aggressive clients and performs aggression control techniques.
- Communicates effectively with suicidal, mentally, emotionally, and/or psychologically disturbed clients in person and over the telephone to diffuse potentially life-threatening situations.
- Transports clients to other agencies, hospitals, homes, community activities, AA meetings etc.
- Researches, plans, develops, implements and conducts therapeutic social, educational/vocational, life skills, and recreational/physical fitness activities or programs for individuals, groups, and families. Facilitates or co-leads daily group activities such as problem solving, goal planning, self-esteem, interpersonal skills, behavior management, etc.; prepares activity calendar.
- Plans, organizes and supervises group outings/special functions; contacts outside agencies /organizations/businesses for donations, tours, etc.; coordinates volunteers.
- May coordinate vocational services and act as a job coach.
- Leads and participates in process/performance improvement teams/activities.
- Ensures compliance with AHCA and/or DJJ standards and security safeguards such as room checks; removal of dangerous items.
- Assesses, develops and implements individual service/treatment plans; meets individually with client; identifies strengths and weaknesses; discusses goals; encourages and assists clients in achieving their goals; writes updates and discharge summaries.
- Develops and presents in-services on client care topics such as special population needs, diagnosis, medicine side effects, de-compensation, and advanced documentation skills.
- Performs related work as required.
- Makes commitment to SMA’s mission and core values the SMA Way
- Abides by principles of EEO compliance and a workplace of dignity and respect.
- Works cooperatively in a group/team setting.
- Shows respect to others.
- Takes guidance and direction from supervisors.
- Arrives/Reports to work on time and ready to work.
EEO Employer W / M / Vet / Disabled
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications