|Title:||Peer Recovery Support Specialist - Full Time|
|Department:||Adult Outpatient Services|
|Location:||207 San Juan Ave., Daytona Beach, FL 32114|
Working Hours: 40 hrs week; Mon-Fri; 8am-5pm
High School Diploma. The person holding this position must have personal experience with mental illness and a strong commitment to the right and ability of each person with a severe and persistent mental illness to live in normal community residences; work in market jobs; and have access to helpful, adequate, competent, and continuous supports and services. Incumbent must be diagnosed with a mental illness and have made substantial recovery.
- It is essential that the Peer Specialist have the skills and competence to establish supportive trusting relationships with persons with severe and persistent mental illnesses and respect for client rights and personal preferences in treatment.
- Must have knowledge of mental illnesses, good interpersonal skills, ability to exercise good judgment and demonstrate responsibility.
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely;
- Ability to communicate effectively with suicidal, mentally, emotionally, and/or psychologically disturbed adults and/or children in person and over the phone;
- Ability to maintain an effective working relationship with clients, co-workers, and the general public; Ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- Ability to enter and retrieve data from a computer.
- Responds to all general inquiries from individuals associated with the Pathways Team.
- Provides education and training in the skills of daily living. This includes: reinforcing medication compliance, personal care, health and wellness, and accessing community resources.
- Completes documentation to maintain a permanent record of client activity according to established methods and procedures.
- Participates in daily staff organizational meetings and treatment planning review meetings.
- Provides transportation to appointments, shopping, and activities as scheduled/planned and linked by Primary Case Manager.
- Makes commitment to SMA’s mission and core values the SMA Way
- Abides by principles of EEO compliance and a workplace of dignity and respect.
- Works cooperatively in a group/team setting.
- Shows respect to others.
- Takes guidance and direction from supervisors.
- Arrives/Reports to work on time and ready to work.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Structuring time and employment:
- Provide work-related supportive services, such as assistance with grooming and personal hygiene, securing of appropriate clothing, wake up calls, and transportation.
- Perform problem solving and support services as indicated when with clients. Advise Primary Case Manager of any observations indicating a concern or problem.
Activities of daily living services:
- Provide on-going assessment, problem solving, side-by-side services, skill training, supervision (e.g., prompts, assignments, monitoring, encouragement), and environmental adaptations to assist clients with activities of daily living.
- Assist and support clients to carry out personal hygiene and grooming tasks.
- Assist with nutrition education, meal planning, grocery shopping, and food preparation.
- Assist and support clients to perform household activities, including house cleaning and laundry.
Social and interpersonal relationships and leisure time:
- Plan, structure, and prompt social and leisure time activities on evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Provide side-by-side support and coaching to help clients socialize (e.g., going with a client to a basketball game, coaching and supporting a client before he or she goes to a family reunion).
- Organize and lead individual and group social and recreational activities to structure clients’ time, increase social experience, and provide opportunities to practice social skills and receive feedback and support.
EEO Employer W / M / Vet / Disabled