|Title:||Correctional Tech; Full Time|
|Location:||3601 US Hwy 92, Daytona Beach, FL 32124|
Working Hours: 40 hours/week; Days and Shifts Vary
*** This position is eligible for a shift differential up to 10% ***
This is responsible, direct service position dealing with Adult Department of Corrections inmates with substance abuse issues; clients may display some symptoms of mental, emotional, psychological illnesses, dually diagnoses, or have mild developmental disabilities. Work involves responsibility for processing intakes and discharges; monitoring and documenting client behaviors and activities; participating and assisting with educational, social and recreational activities; providing a safe and therapeutic environment; interacting in a warm compassionate manner; de-escalating, and restraining clients when necessary; promoting client achievement of treatment plan goals and objectives. Work is performed in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent and 6 months of related human services experience or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the following knowledge, abilities, and skills:
- Some knowledge of the criminal justice human services field according to program need, and the application of basic client care skills. Some knowledge of communicable diseases. Ability to defuse potentially dangerous situations, and remain calm in an emergency. Ability to utilize behavior management techniques and serve as a role model. Ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing with the public, clinical professionals, and outside agencies. Ability to prepare and maintain written documentation.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle to transport clients. Ability to perform light housekeeping responsibilities.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment and standard household appliances.
- Ability to handle verbally and/or physically abusive and aggressive clients and utilize aggression control techniques to ensure the safety and well being of the client, other clients, and employees in the unit. Ability to communicate effectively with suicidal, mentally, emotionally, and/or psychologically disturbed clients in person and over the telephone. Ability to perform pat downs and strip searches according to program and client need.
- Responsible for monitoring the behavior and activities of each client; reports any concerns regarding the health, safety, or well-being of a client to the appropriate authority. Serves as a positive role model; utilizes approved behavior modification techniques to help clients learn desirable behaviors; provides positive reinforcement and support to clients. Assists in the planning and implementation of individual treatment plans; supports client goals; encourages and assists clients in achieving their goals.
- Processes admissions and discharges for voluntary and/or involuntary clients; orients the client to the facility; explains rules, policies and procedures.
- Conducts and participates in basic life skills activities. Provides clients with training or assistance with basic daily living skills such as: bathing, shaving, grooming, etc.
- Provides supervision, counseling, custody, and control; assists with employment development and coordination and other related services to inmates according to program and client need.
- Completes required program documentation. Completes reports as required; daily, weekly, monthly etc. Documents service and progress daily regarding client activities and behavior patterns, and notes all changes in all areas. Reviews and documents in shift report logs, shift logs, companion files, contact cards etc. Obtains required program information; inventories client valuables.
- Assists nurse with medications; takes vitals; counts control substance medications; supervises self-administered medications according to program and client need. Conducts security/safety checks; monitors visitors/clients for contraband such as knives, razors, belts; conducts searches; removes dangerous items; performs and/or assists with restraints. Collects urine specimens; delivers to laboratory if required; utilizes infection control procedures when necessary. May shop for supplies/clothing for clients; assists with the preparation and dispensing of snacks and meals.
- Participates in meetings as required; converses with staff on client’s progress or lack of progress. Performs general office duties; answers telephones; communicates with the public or other agencies as required; links clients to needed services; makes doctor appointments; files, types, copies; receives food shipments; order supplies etc. Performs general cleaning responsibilities such as laundry, mopping, garbage removal etc.
- Attends training /in-services as required.
- Controls verbally and/or physically abusive and aggressive clients and performs aggression control techniques. Communicates effectively with suicidal, mentally, emotionally, and/or psychologically disturbed clients in person and over the telephone to diffuse potentially life-threatening situations. Transports clients to other agencies, hospitals, homes, community activities, AA meetings etc.
- Researches, plans, develops, implements and conducts vocational, life skills, and recreational/physical fitness activities. Plans, organizes and supervises group outings/special functions; contacts outside agencies /organizations/businesses for donations, tours, etc., as assigned. May coordinate vocational services and act as a job coach.
- Participates in process/performance improvement activities.
- Ensures compliance with DOC standards and security safeguards such as room checks and removal of dangerous items.
- Performs related work as required.
- Makes commitment to SMA’s mission and core values the SMA Way
- Abides by principles of EEO compliance and a workplace of dignity and respect.
- Works cooperatively in a group/team setting.
- Shows respect to others.
- Takes guidance and direction from supervisors.
- Arrives/Reports to work on time and ready to work.
EEO Employer W / M / Vet / Disabled